chem

Default First project pics and a couple of questions

Yeah, I'm finally getting some things made in the shop! These ones are
from the first couple of weeks - exciting to me, but it's really just a
few slots in squared pieces. I'll take the new ones home next weekend
and take some more pictures. Pics are at
http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=...s&uid=38125393

Today I did a dovetail slot. It was a little hard on the nerves. Up
until this point if the mill started doing something unexpected I could
just back the cutter off while I figured out what was going on.

I'm really loving this school thing. Tonight I spent three hours
reading about iron ore, coke, blast furnaces, smelters... I'm already
itching to get back into the shop on Monday.

While doing that reading and working on some questions from our textbook
I came up with three questions... I know you guys know your stuff and
I'm hoping you can help me out.

Are all ferrous metals magnetic? I'd think yes, since iron is magnetic,
but are there any exceptions?

What is creep strength?

What's the difference between ductility and malleability? I know the
textbook answer - ductile metals can be drawn out into a wire without
breaking, and malleable metals can be pounded or rolled into shape
without breaking. But I don't know why a metal that could be drawn out
into a wire couldn't be rolled out or hammered into a shape as well.

chem

--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl