Posted to rec.woodworking
PopS

Default Wood identification?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article c8YRf.1878$Vb.1552@trndny01, "PopS"
wrote:
Hi,
I've placed a Photo Gallery at:
http://www.twaynesdomain.com/GarageS...ge/garage.html
which has 4 largish but small enough for dialup, thumnails of 4
different shots of a door's stiles and rails. If you're on a
faster line you can click each one and get a larger picture
with
more detail.
Is that Oak?

Sure doesn't look like it to me. Not the piece on the left in
your first pic,
anyway -- that one looks a lot like Douglas fir. Hard to tell
what the other
one is, because the grain doesn't show up well in the photo.
Might be oak, but
doubtful.

--
Regards,

Hmm, thanks; That's where my head's been too; about it not being
oak I mean. I'm going lumber hopping this weekend so I'll check
against the Douglas Fir.
Only reason I suggested oak is because a friend suggested
that's what it was, but he wasn't sure either.

Pop