Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default what happens when gas runs out

Dave Stanton wrote:

Hydrogen ? To replace natural gas (Methane) you are joking I take it ?

What's the problem? Cannisters of it stored outside would be safer than
the heavier than air flammables. And in the mains at one time they used
to use a dilute carbon monoxide hydrogen mix. Very dangerous as CO is
poisonous.

The main problem with hydrogen is that it is difficult to liquify. That
isn't a problem with mains. It isn't a problem with cannisters either;
it just requires a change of viewpoint. Besides it can be used in fuel
cells or dissolved in methane.

Or if worse comes to the worst, it can be fused with old sump oil, car
tyres and kitchen waste to produce man made natural gasses.

Try applying your grey matter to problems and what initially can appear
daunting, ends up paling to insignificance. Let me repeat; there is no
problem that, were the utility nationalised, should not disappear
overnight.

See
alsohttp://www.psigate.ac.uk/newsite/reference/plambeck/chem1/p01264a.htm

The other viable alternatives are coal. We stopped its production due
to its production cost not its scarcity and vegetable oils which are
about 15 pence after tax for edible quality oil. What less edible stuff
is also available but not considered viable due to having no market at
the moment remains to be seen.

We know some algaes will produce toxic but rich fuel quality gasses.
The reason to worry has not yet been reached. Nor is it likely to be.