Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default what happens when gas runs out

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:02:07 +0000, Fray Bentos wrote:

how long do you all think we have gas for?

When it finally runs out / becomes too expensive / rare , will we be living
in all-electric homes?

My guess is that as gas/oil runs out it's relative price will increase.

This will initially bring on further reserves.
AIUI there is a massive amount of oil/gas on the western side of Scotland
but it's in much deeper water and will require a higher price (I don't
know what level though I was told is was 4 times the real price in 1995).

There will be a shift back to coal, nuclear and renewables.

Given the infrastructure we now have is northern europe for burning
methane. I strongly suspect that plants for converting coal to
Methane/Ethane will be built (I doubt that town gas will make a come back).