Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default looking for corded drill opinions - Dewalt and Milwaukee

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's time to get a corded drill - the old craftsman cordless is pooping
out, and it will probably be Christmas before I can get the Panasonic
or Makita NiMH cordless I'd really like. So I'd like a tailed drill
for use in the meantime, and I want a heavier-duty drill at some point
anyway.
My priorities a powerful but lightweight enough to use with one
hand, good-quality keyless chuck.
My top choices are (all are 3/8", 0-2500RPM or so):
Dewalt D21008K (6 amp, $42ish refurbished online)
Milwaukee 0233-20 (5.5 amp, $89 locally)
Ridgid R7000 (6.5 amp, $57 locally)

From what I've read, Milwaukee is top of the line in terms of drills.

However, I'm a hobbyist woodworker and occasional home repairer, so I'm
wondering if the red drill is really worth twice as much as the yellow
one for non-daily use. I have a refurbished Dewalt router that I've
been extremely happy with, but no experience with either of the other
brands.
The main reason I'm interested in the Ridgid is the lifetime warranty
from HD - I can't find any reviews of this model online, and it doesn't
seem to have the brand reputation or history of either Dewalt or
Milwaukee.
Has anyone used any of these specific drills?
I'd appreciate any informed opinions.
Thanks very much,
Andy

A lifetime warranty's useless if the store's closed and you really want to
use the drill NOW. And sometimes, it's an indication that the item's made so
cheaply that the manufacturer can afford to give away a significant
percentage of the production run for free, as warranty replacements.