Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Cavity Wall Insulation - Have I Got It ?

On 15 Mar 2006 03:42:19 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

So what's best ? I need to insulate as mine are just cavities at the
mo.

Blown fibreglass is probably the best for an existing wall, at the
moment. Others will probably advocate other things though, including
more environmentally friendly alternatives.

As soon as my heat goes off about half an hour later the house feels
completely cold.

With cavity wall insulation it will remain warm for considerably
longer.

The loft is insulated, but I could put more up there

If the loft isn't used then more fibreglass rolls to take it to
250mm is an advantage. If it is used for storage then there is much
to be said for different forms of insulation, which allow one to fit
the same amount of insulation as 250mm of fibreglass, but fit it
within the 100-150mm of many roof joists.

.. I'm already double glazed.

Double glazing prevents relatively little heat loss, unless it
replaces badly fitted windows. However, double glazing has other
advantages.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh