Posted to alt.home.repair
MRnice

Default Boiler shuts down

Hi Bubba. This has nothing to do with saving money. My oil company
does not have 24 hour service and the only one in the area that does
has not called me back since I left 2 messages so far. Despite what
you think, I do have a good general knowledge about boilers. Since
tubes do not need to be cleaned due to this is a hot water boiler, the
problems must be related to one of the following: oil nozzle being
dirty, dirt in the supply line, a dirty filter, a bad stack switch,
poor air intake, or a faulty flame sensor (eye). About two years ago I
had a problem like this. I called my oil service (it was during
operating hours) and he first broke the elctrode when he was trying to
remove the oil nozzle from its assembly. He changed the nozzle and
then broke the supply tubing when reinstalling. After he installed a
new line he bled the air from the line and the boiler worked fine
since.

I just finished removing the oil nozzle and cleaned it ( I cant get
parts as the supply houses close early, about 5p,). I changed the
filter (I had a spare on hand) and bled the line at the pump. The
boiler has been running for about an hour and a half with no problem.

I have seen many people give assistance to others who had no idea of
what they were doing. Here, no real advice was given, only comments
stating I did not want to pay a service to repair. I will still call
them tomorrow during the day for them to come and check everything out
and replace the nozzle. I am not an expert, but I do have a clear
understanding of how this system works. I have worked on gas fired
systems and HRT commercial boilers years ago. I admit that I still
have things to learn about oil fired redidential burners and this is an
old system without auotmatic draft louvers and sensors, etc.

Again, thank you for your help and concern.