Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

Default Using a Wind Turbine to supplement a conventional oil fired central heating system

On 14 Mar 2006 11:48:17 -0800, wrote:

My mum=B4s house, built 1974, has a conventional oil fired central
heating system which supplies hot water to a cylinder and radiators.
The house is in an area with very good wind resource. I want to install
a small wind turbine to supplement the oil fired heating system. The
wind turbine I wish to use has a maximum power output of 1.4kW. The DC
output voltage can be either 12v, 24v or 48v. In windy weather it can
produce 33kW per day.

I wonder what is the best way to tie the wind power into the central
heating system. I have considered the following possibilities:

1=2E Install a suitable low voltage 1.5kW water heater in or connected to
the cylinder. This should provide lots of hot water but no much thru
the radiators. Can you recomend a suitable water heater?

2=2E Install a suitable low voltage 1.5kW water heater on the cold water
input pipe to the boiler. Leave the boiler on low so that the pump will
circulate the water thru the radiators and cylinder. Can you recommend
a suitable water heater?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks in anticipation.

Use the wind turbine to power the lighting via a set of storage
batteries.

Use the electricity saved to run an immersion heater!

sponix