Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

Default Tankless Water Heaters

Hi Group,

I did some Googling, and read a bunch on the issue of tankless water heaters
but didn't get a good feeling for whether one would be the right choice for
my brother and sister-in-law. Here's their situation:

Live in Ohio (USA)
All electric home, probably 10-15 yrs old.
Three sons ages 2yrs to 8 yrs
2.5 bath home, normal laundry, DW, etc.

I'm feeling that the initial cost of a 'whole house' unit large enough to
support them, coupled with the fact their actual hot water use is probably
going to be high enough that the heat loss of water just sitting in the tank
will offset the savings offered by 'on demand'. It seems the real savings of
on-demand is in the low usage level. Am I wrong here?

Additionally, with the fact that in mid winter the incoming water temp here
in Ohio would be around 50 degrees and they may not get the desired hot
water when they want it most.

Finally, the overall electric requirement seems it could be an issue as
well. The larger whole-house models seem to require 150 amps. I couldn't
find a rating for a standard electric tank (all gas in my house, so nothing
to look at to compare), but I didn't think a tank was more than 50-60 amp.

Any advice appreciated!

Mark