Gary Coffman

Default Help a newbie out?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:11:34 -0700, Brad Brigade wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:02:31 GMT, (Gary Coffman)
wrote:
Well, lets just say it would be a *challenge*. Straight spur gears are
possible, but any other gear form is going to be very difficult. I'd strongly
suggest you consider *purchasing* gears, or salvaging them out of other
equipment, rather than trying to make your own with a micro lathe. You
might have a bit better luck making them with a mill and rotary table.

Well... I actually WANT to make the gears. Any of the stuff I've made
over the years I could have bought for far less money, but that was
never the point. And I wasn't suggesting doing it on the lathe, but
with the mill and rotary table as you mentioned. But forget the
Sherline, is there ANY mill that can make decent gears for around
$600? If not, then screw 'em.

Not new price, but perhaps you could find used equipment for that
amount. What you really want for gear cutting is a horizontal universal
mill with a gear driven index head. That'll let you cut helical gears as
well as straight spur gears. Used horizontal mills are often pretty cheap
because most hobbyists want "something like a Bridgeport", even
though a vertical mill often isn't the best choice.

Gary