C. Hale

Default Diamond and Diamand Lapping Film?

(RobertDurango) wrote in message ...
I bought some stuff in a lot at an auction. Included were packets of "Imperial
Diamond Lapping Film, grade 0.5MIC, 3" by 4" , 50 sheets, etc. by 3M.( have
some 1 MIC grit size also.)

What would these sheets be used for, or how does on use them? -

Are they expensive items?

I would like to try them on something, - what?

Thanks. ( I know somebody out there on this group must know all about this
stuff.)

Bob Durango

Bob, such films are routinely used to polish optical fiber connector
ends. You generally squirt a bit of distilled water on a plate of
glass, flop the film onto the plate where it sticks down nicely via
capillary action, and then squirt a bit more water on the film. Then
figure-8 the connector end, etc. I polished some solid-state laser
rods using this technique once upon a time, too, etc. Your 0.5 micron
sheets are toward the "final polish" end of the spectrum; tho you do
see 0.3 micron for the final polish, too. Usually people have ~ 3
grades on hand to go from rough to final (optical qual), like 5 mic, 1
um, 0.3 um. The stuff is fairly cheap, in some volume. Many of the
makers and vendors of these film routinely send out 1-2 sheet samples
if you ask them; often enough to do the job, one-off...
C. Hale