Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Default Will my luck hold out? Gloat???!!

Quick update...

yesterday, after writing the post I sat at work (I won't tell you about
my work, nothing to tell) and all I could think about was that tree
just lying there. I guess I'm realy addicted to this, all I could do
was speculate what it would look like on the inside, is completely dry,
or does it have some good parts, etc... and mainly is it still there.

Today on the jewish Purim festivities (it's a neat holiday with a lot
of drinking, eating, family gatherings and even costumes...), after
everything was over, on a full belly. My younger brother and I went to
see what we can do with the tree.

We managed to get more than half of it in a single load in my "truck"
(actauly a regular car, but what I load on it qualifies it to the title
I think :-)), however, the other half is very problematic since it is
covered in mud, and most of it is the begining of the roots. My brother
claimed that the mud will wreak havoc on the chainsaw. No way I can get
a hose there to wash it away, and no way that I can move it from there
without some sort of crane.... Maybe I'll buy an axe and have a go...

Pictures will follow, once I get my brother to download them from his
camera. however just one more thing I wanted to share. It still has a
lot of oil inside so I think it is very usable, although the middle is
hollow. The grain is amazing! I'm not sure if this is spalted or the
natural olive color, I have encountered this before in olive but not on
such a scale (only small pieces). Pictures will follow...