Stan Schaefer

Default Diamond and Diamand Lapping Film?

(RobertDurango) wrote in message ...
I bought some stuff in a lot at an auction. Included were packets of "Imperial
Diamond Lapping Film, grade 0.5MIC, 3" by 4" , 50 sheets, etc. by 3M.( have
some 1 MIC grit size also.)

What would these sheets be used for, or how does on use them? -

Are they expensive items?

I would like to try them on something, - what?

Thanks. ( I know somebody out there on this group must know all about this
stuff.)

Bob Durango

One use is for fiber-optic data cable splicing, the ends of the fibers
are lapped after cleaving and before making up the connector. There's
a special jig to do this, the film isn't much use without it.

If you do woodworking, you might try lapping your chisels and gouges
with it for that extra sharp edge. Stick a sheet to some glass or
other flat surface and use it like a stone.

stan