Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default Slow progress..

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:54:54 +0100, Nick Müller wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

What's the best way to do this outer contour? Say I have a hole, and I
want an outer contour most of the way around it. I'm thinking a rotary
table on the mill, with the hole centered on it?

That's how I did it.

So holding, then, is done with a shaft the diameter of the hole, and a
larger shoulder top and bottom, and a bolt for tension, or something
else?

Is there a better way?

CNC ;-))

Ah. I'd like to revise my question to introduce a constraint of "for
the home machinist with 1960s technology" please.

Thanks, it's good to see confirmation that my guess is what people who
know what they're doing would do.