Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default Slow progress..

steamer wrote:

--Have been working on these puppies for waay too long; finally got
one done the other day and took a photo. Direct link:

Geee, nice con rods are a pain to do.
I have developed a method (that requires a RT) that is accurate and
quite fast:

I start with a flat big enough.
1.) Drill the two holes on both ends
2.) Drill 4 holes (a little math required) where the round outer contour
meets the staight connecting part.
2a) If you make the connecting part slim, mill it off now.
3.) Put rod on the RT with some jig to clamp coaxial with top or bottom
hole
4.) Mill the round outer contour
5.) Mill round on the other end
4a + 5a) you can make the connecting part slimmer and can mill that
radius with a radius mill.
6.) Clamp rod in vice, and with the help of some shims and 2 rods
through the bore, mill the two straights.

Last time I made a rod, I made photos, but forgot to make them for all
steps. So you have to wait until next time.

BTW:
Nice work!

Nick
--