Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andy

Default How to make "divot" in 1/4" aluminum plate

Hello folks.
I am writing to get some suggestions for making an aluminum deck hatch
for a boat.
These hatches are mounted flush with the floor (deck) of a boat and are
watertight.

I am just in the thinking it out stage, but would appretiate any input
the group may have.
The product I am trying to duplicate is:
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,224.htm
It is basically a piece of 1/4" diamond tread aluminum plate. This
plate has a series of "dogs" or latches which secure the hatch into a
stainless steel frame. the dogs are pieces of stainless flat stock
attached to a nut which is operated from above the hatch with a socket.
each dog has a corresponding divot in the hatch which serves to recess
the operating nut flush with the top of the hatch. The divots are
approximately 3" in diameter and 3/16" deep.

My question is this: is it possible to make these divots using a
hydraulic press (the sort with the hydraulic jack) and some dies? or
does this type of forming require a punch-press type of sudden impact
to get the desired results?
I have acess to a lathe to make the dies. I would like to produce say 8
hatches with 4 divots each.

any suggestions would be appretiated (including "go buy them you cheap
p.....")
Andy Hall
Lynn, MA