Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

Default Kids Build Soybean-Fueled Car

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:00:31 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Carl Byrns wrote:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:06:52 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:

OOPS pressed send too soon

Farm diesel and farm implements need anything but high quality fuels.

Who told you that?
The diesels that most ag equipment are powered by are designed to use
same fuel as trucks and heavy equipment. They require clean fuel with
a cetane rating of 40. Low quality fuel will kill them quick- we see
the results in our shop when someone cheaps out and tries to run a
modern turbodiesel on old, crappy, 'discount diesel'.

-Carl

A lot of folks seem to (incorrectly) think there is some quality
difference between #2 diesel fuel at the pump vs. #2 home heating oil or
#2 off-road diesel. The reality is of course that all three are exactly
the same base fuel with the difference being transportation fuel taxes
and the addition of red dye to the non-taxed fuel.

Pete C.

And all those fuels degrade with time- leftover last years diesel is a
low quality fuel.
My point still stands- The diesels that most ag equipment are powered
by are designed to use same fuel as trucks and heavy equipment. They
require clean fuel with a cetane rating of 40. The OP's statement that
"farm diesel and farm implements need anything but high quality fuels"
is false.

-Carl