Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default bathroom earthing question

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:07:50 +0000 someone who may be Andy Wade
wrote this:-

An RCD protecting a circuit feeding equipment in a bathroom would not
protect someone from the effects of contact with metalwork earthed via
different paths which could, due to faults
_elsewhere_in_the_electrical_installation_, be at dangerously different
potentials. This is why BS 7671 mandates the use of local supplementary
equipotential bonding as a primary safety measure.

And the results speak for themselves. I gather significantly fewer
people die in the UK due to the "strict" requirements. This is one
of the reasons why the IEE has held out against some changes and I
think they are right to do so.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh