Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald

Default A dado in two passes?

newbie to woodworking question ...

I have been using a router and a simple homemade dado jig to do my dados.
With the jig (commonly found in many router jig articles) there is no
measuring, no worring about undersize or oversize wood or bits, and the dado
always matches the width of the piece you are joining first time.

but, like I said ... new to woodworking ... what am I missing?

"Toller" wrote in message
I had to make a 7/8" dado today. Since my dado set only goes up to 13/16"
I put a 1/2" dado assembly in my TS and cut a groove. I moved the fence
3/8" and cut a second grove. It only took one adjustment to be perfect.

It was faster and easier than most dados I have cut, where you have to
fuss with the spacers.

Is there a downside to this method I am not seeing? If not, I will do all
my dados this way.
Thanks.