Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Default Kids Build Soybean-Fueled Car

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:01:36 -0500, "SteveF"
wrote:
snip
How about because when it gets cold biodiesel doesn't burn? That's why
all
the biodiesel out there is going into mixtures with regular diesel at no
more than 15%. To use 100% biodiesel you have to address the cold weather
operations problem.

snip
This is only a problem when a "complete" solution is attempted in
one leap, i.e. everybody has to use SVO or bio-diesel, all the
time, everywhere.

You snipped too soon. Brent "didn't see any good reason to not be pusing
diesel especially when you
CAN run them on 100% renewable fuels as opposed to fossil fuels" and he was
discussing a Jeep Liberty so I gave him one.

This is a typical bureaucratic ploy when an organization does not
want to do something because of greed, obstinacy, or the "not
invented here/we didn't think of it first" factor.

Or because they recognize that the American public is all for doing
something about the environment until they realize it is either going to
cost them money or be an inconvenience. My neighbor runs a local heating
oil company and we have had a number of discussions about biodiesel. He
told me that there is a large scale production plant opening in eastern
North Carolina but that even with the government subsidies, the biodiesel is
quite a bit more expensive than regular heating oil. Tell someone that the
fuel they are using might cause their vehicle to be very hard to start if
the cold weather shows up before the "winter" blend arrives and they will
tell you were you can stick your renewable fuel.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that switching to renewable fuels isn't a
good idea and am currently looking at building a processor to convert WVO
into biodiesel to replace some (actually most but don't tell my neighbor) of
the heating oil I use for my house. But I do disagree with the folks who
seem to think that biodiesel is an obviously brilliant solution without any
problems to overcome or associated costs.

Steve.