Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default Kids Build Soybean-Fueled Car

On 13 Mar 2006 19:31:08 -0800, "
wrote:
snip
So as I see it your plan lets the government decide that the
company should pay taxes on the profits, and then the stockholders
should pay taxes on top of that on at least half of the profits. Good
for the government, tends to suck for the stockholders.

snip
I suggest you check the current US tax regulations on this. If
you are saving for retirement, properly constructed 401k or
IRA/Keogh should shield any dividend income from taxation until
it is withdrawn and spent.

On the other hand, why should stockholders *NOT* pay taxes on
their income? When they don't pay their taxes, someone else must
make up the shortfall or it adds to the deficit (with compound
interest to the bond holders). We seem to have created a class
of nobility in this country that feels that by right they are
exempt from paying their full share of the cost of government,
while demanding at least their share of governmental services
such as police, fire, courts, patents, customs, etc.

You look at the exceedingly small number of very well run
American corporations with long-term ethical management, I look
at the much larger number of poorly run American corporations
with short-sighted amoral management, and we naturally reach two
very different conclusions.

Changes in corporate policy by changes in the board of directors
is a pipe dream that Wall Street still sells and the suckers
continue to buy. SEC stock proxy rules, staggered director terms
and "poison pill" defenses are specifically designed to prevent
this. The only thing that has ever put any starch in a
director's backbone is the threat of a stockholder class-action
lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty and/or the Sorbains-Oxley
act with some jail time.

I am continually amazed that the mutual funds, that now own a
majority of corporate stocks, allow the corporations to amass and
manage excessive amounts of retained earnings and have done
nothing to stop the profit skimming attributable to excessive
executive compensation.

If you directly or indirectly own stock in a corporation, those
earnings are *YOUR* money.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

What a country calls its vital economic interests are not
the things which enable its citizens to live, but the things
which enable it to make war. Petrol is more likely than wheat
to be a cause of international conflict.
Simone Weil (1909-43), French philosopher, mystic.
«The Power of Words», in Nouveaux Cahiers (1 and 15 April 1937;
repr. in Selected Essays, ed. by Richard Rees, 1962)