Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Sheathing garage

" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
" wrote:

Im tired of looking for a stud every time I want to fasten something to
the
wall in my garage and being limited by the position I can put it. I want
sheath one wall, maybe two in plywood on the inside It has been suggested
me that ths may be against code and be a fire hazard. I dont see how as
the
wall will still be covered in 5/8 drywall. I havent been able to get a
response from local city authorites on this. Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

If the ultimate wall surface is 5/8" firecode drywall it will not make
any difference fire rating wise if there is a layer of plywood between
the drywall and the wall studs (other than the increased cost). The
drywall provides the fire rated protection for the plywood just as it
does for the studs.

Pete C.

The plywood would be on top.

Wrong, put the plywood behind the type X drywall. You maintain the fire
rating and the ability to attach shelving or whatever at any point.
There is nothing to be gained by putting the plywood as the exposed
surface and you loose fire rating.

With plywood on the exposed side, it can be ignited readily since it has
no fire protection and it then provides a fuel source that could burn
long / intense enough to defeat the rating of the type X drywall behind
it and ignite the studs or rafters on the other side. With the plywood
behind the sheet of drywall the plywood receives the full protection of
the drywall.

Pete C.