Tom Gardner

Default Question for the weld people out in cyberland

You might have a local mobil welding contractor that could come out there
and mig the parts for you cheaper, better and faster than you think. I
STILL have to learn that I can't do everything on time.

"Koz" wrote in message
Hi folks

I am in a bind to do a bunch of fillet welds and found my skills are
quite lacking.

Basically, I am welding a 10 gauge MS channel to the face of a 1/4" MS
plate. the channel has been painted in the past but has been ground
clean in the weld area.

I generally use my tig welder for stuff because I don't do much welding
and it allowes me to produce a fairly good weld with little skill.
However on this project, I need the welds to actually hold and look
fairly good, as well as go more quickly than I could with the tig. I
tried some tests to practice with my (buzz box) stick welder and was
only able to keep a good weld fillet for about 1- 2 inches at a time
before I tended to have an uneven weld, voids, etc. I only have the AC
buzz box and the tig so I am limited is ways I can correct problems. I
could run the DC inverter tig (powercon 400 smt) as a stick welder but
I don't have the right plug for the electrode holder to fit. I guess I
could scab it somehow.

I tried with 1/8" 6011 rods (had problems maintaining the arc), 1/8"
6013 rods (got the best results) and 1/8" 7014 (not horrible but not as
good as the 6013). That's what I had lying around. Oh yea...I was
running what seemed a little high in amperage (about 150) but was having
problems maintaining the arc at much lower currents. I can lay down a
near perfect bead when working flat. It's the fillets that are giving
me troubles.

I don't have time to actually learn this right so I was hoping that
someone might have some suggestions for an unskilled person who needed
to get through a small job before Monday.

Thanks!

Koz