Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default insulation - rock wool? any asbestos?

spoon2001 wrote:
Can you help me identify some insulation for me? I was always told it was
rock wool. I would like to pull it out, but I don't want to mess with
asbestos.

Please check out this page, which has two pictures:

http://procyonlotor1.tripod.com/insulation/

Also please look at the pipe insulation picture - a plumber told me it was
asbestos. Too bad for me! I had already pulled a load of it out of the
crawl space and the attic. I never even thought about asbestos.

The attic stuff looks like rock wool, has nothing
to do with asbestos, so do with it as you like.
If you are going to put in a vapor barier, then
remove it and add it back if you want. You need
the same kind of protection when handling rock
wool that you use for fiberglass.

The stuff on the pipe looks like standard asbestos
insulation once used on steam and hot water lines.
Wear a mask, gloves, and coveralls when you
work with it. In that form, you really don't have
much to worry about as long as you wear a mask.