Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default What is this called and where can I get them.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:24:57 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
At a friend's house and she had a footstool assembled with what I
might call headless knobs, or screw-on rivets. They use a piece of
the threaded rod that are used for drawer knobs, in the middle, and on
each end was like a knob except that almost all of it was missing.
Just something like a rivet with a threaded hole in the middle, that
goes all the way through. The shaft is maybe 3/8" and the head is
maybe 1/2" or a little more and only a couple millimeters high, and
the whole thing is 1/2 long.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/eye...ong_t_nut.html

It's a "prong nut", and I've seen them at Home Despot.

Thanks. It's my fault for not giving a better description, but the
ones I need have no prongs. And they're prettier on the side away
from the screw, a nice enamel brown or maybe -- it was not well lit --
some other nice finish.

If I find them, I still don't know how to tighten them. Because I can
use my fingers until the edge gets close to the wood, but after that
the only way to grip them would be to put some sort of reverse
easy-out into the hole.

(It's not the cam-lock either. Thanks again.)

And thanks to Tom for the clues. If we're talking about the same
thing and they are actually in the store, I should have be able to
spend enough time to find them. If I were to have to to hunt on the
web, the name would be much more important.

How do you tighten these things?