Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

Default AIRCO 250 AC/DC Heliwelder V

It doesn't indicate a dead short. A 250 amp bumblebee welder draws
a hefty initial current. What kind of circuit do you have it plugged
into?

hd_74al wrote:
I need some help from a person that knows electrical problems. I have a
used welder that I am refurbishing. I have made a repair to the
interface board that had a blown capacitor. When I turned that welder
on it seemed that everything was okay with the fix so I am testing the
weld capabilities. As I don't have it set up for the tig yet, I am just
testing the "arc" functions. When I selected AC and used a 7018 3/32"
rod I was able to run a bead. When I selected DC (straight polarity) or
DC (reverse polarity) and turned the welder on it flipped the circuit
breaker. The question(s) that I have:
1) Is this a dead short in the rectifier bridge? diode? If so how can I
check the fault?
2) Can can check to see if the high frequency works using the "stick"
function?

Thanks for any help.

Al