Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Default Wood burner with back boiler

HI Martin

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:45:52 +0000 (UTC), HandyMart

wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

HI Martin

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:40:20 +0000 (UTC), HandyMart
wrote:

Many thanks Adrian, some good starters here.

No problem - if you need to chat about the project then feel free...

Adrian
adrianatambquality.co.uk

Thanks Adrian. It is possible the project may simplify to replacing the
DHW cylinder with a twin coil one and only using the wood burner to heat
the water via the second coil.

Only trouble there is that you'll quickly get to the point where your
DHW is 'hot enough' - and then what are you going to do with the
'surplus' heat....?
((On our system, with a fairly crude control, the first 30 mins to 1
hour after the stove coming up to 'pump on' temperature (about 45C)
has the boiler output directed to DHW heating, via a stat on the tank.
After that, the circulating water runs through the radiator circuit.))

What's the rated output of the boiler ?

This still gives rise to some questions:
Would a heat dump radiator be required or advised?

It's somewhere for the 'spare heat' to go - after you've got the DHW
tank as hot as you want it....

Would a simple
gravity system work OK?

If you do that you'll maybe find it difficult to 'turn off' the
circuit....?

Should I have a separate header tank or could
the existing one for the oil fired system be used?

You might want to work on the two systems independantly...?
Could use one tank and a stop-cock on the feed to each system..?
maybe..?

What are the
considerations when selecting a twin coil cylinder?

Don't know.
For our system I just specced the largest possible tank to fit into
the space available - and the manufacturers made the tank up for me
with 2x copper coils....
Solar goes to the lower coil, woodburner goes to the upper coil.

Hope this helps

Adrian
Suffolk UK
www.inspired-glass.co.uk/bungalow.htm

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply