Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Default Will my luck hold out? Gloat???!!

On my way to work this morning (I work as a computer programmer), at
the entrance to my village, I saw some people taking down an Olive
tree. This Olive tree was planted as a decoration of sorts for the
village entrance, and sadly had died...

It is sad in more than one way to see such a tree (a very old olive
tree) die, especialy since one can blame those who moved it in the
first place to the current location, from the other one where it was
prospering in peace. I'm thinking this post could go in the
alt.woodloving group :-)

Anyway for an aspiring wood turner like me, this is the find of the
century almost, a fully grown tree with a very wide trunk (can not be
lifted without a crane). Sadly I was in a real hurry, otherwise I would
have turned around and brought my chainsaw - but there is a lot of
pressure at work now, so I had to pass.

I hope that when I get back tonight it will still be there, since no
one can just move it... I did ask them to leave it there so I can take
it (they were planting a new tree instead). I will get the saw and pray
that I don't cut anything worthwhile badly.

Cross your fingers for me... This is turning stock for a long time, the
grain patterns of an old,old tree should be something amazing. I will
update tonight again.