Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Rookie jointer question

"George" George@least wrote in message

"AcornMan" wrote in message
OK, so I finally got around to buying a jointer this past week, and
tried using it for the first time today (the first time I've ever even
been close to a jointer that's on). Once I got the outfeed table
aligned with the cutter blades correctly I thought all I really needed
to do was push the piece of wood across and keep it pushed down on the
outfeed table. Is that not right? I ended up with a curved edge that
looks kind of like a boomerang. I'd sure appreciate any pointers you
all might have. Thanks.

You problem sounds like the typical convex sweep. If you just hold the
board to the tables, regardless their length, this one doesn't resolve
easily. Go to the concave side - sight the board - and make the first
pass or two at each end, reducing them only before the final pass(es)
which make it straight.

The convex is done by setting the board over the table with the end up,
and reducing only the middle, but it's a bit less intuitive. Not to
mention, that the concave side is the one with the sapwood you don't want
anyway.

In short, sight, plan and proceed, jointing isn't just slapping a board on
the tables, no matter how long the tables may be.

I am not sure what you are getting at. I often have boards that cut only at
the front and rear ends at first. They get flat easily enough without any
special treatment.