Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default favourite suppliers; steel, bearings, etc.?

McMaster is going to be your high priced supplier of last resort. That
said, we have an order in to them a couple times a week. Huge selection,
online or phone ordering, dependable, overnight delivery.

For steel you really need to find the local places that will sell small
orders. I have a couple of local places that sell new material, seconds,
drops, used, and scrap to anyone who shows up at the door. Your best bet
is to get some advice from this NG (give us your specific location),
your welding supplier, small fabricator or machie shop, race car
fabricator, etc etc.

Bearings and similar are usually cheap at the farm or tractor supply
places. Even your local bearing supply place may be fairly cheap. It
helps if you can buy your parts under a company or school name, even if
you pay cash.

Good luck!

Bernard Arnest wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering what your favourite suppliers of steel shafts,
bearings (specifically, 3" ID roller bearings), etc., are?

I was looking on mcmastercarr and was somewhat frightened. For
example, I found a small piece of 3" diameter scrap 304 stainless rod
for free. In case I screw up the machining, I was curious what
mcmastercarr might want for replacement. $80!! Are there some
reliably more affordable online dealers? Am I best just to shop around
locally?

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest