Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

Default Irish plumbing

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:35:42 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Where exactly is one supposed to put PTFE tape if not on the thread of
compression fittings?

Well, certainly not on the thread of compression fittings. A compression
joint works with a seal between the fitting and olive and between the olive
and the pipe. These are metal to metal joints.

[snip]

Oh right. I never knew - I've always used PTFE on compression threads as
lots of sources seem to say it should be used (e.g. various DIY books,
http://www.diydata.com/techniques/pl...ompression.htm
).

I guess I can save myself a few pennies by stopping using it, then!

Cheers,
--
Chris Cowley