Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Help - septic tank ( or not?)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:29:39 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be
"howardsend" wrote this:-

I have been led to believe that I have a septic tank system.. When I couldnt
get the second manhole to clear I lifted the cover on the septic tank to
see if the problem was there , looking for the rodding point like it says in
the diagrams in all the books.

I am new to septic tanks and dont actually know what its supposed to look
like.

However, mine does not look like the diagrams. It is brick built , oblong,
5ft x5ft and very very deep it would seem, at a guess 20 ft deep.
There are no visable inlet or outlet holes, no rodding t points, no vents
and no baffle between two chambers.

There is often confusion between a septic tank and cesspool. I think
some of this confusion is deliberate, with those selling houses
actually knowing the difference but deciding not to mention the it.

If there is only one chamber then you have a cesspool and this will
need emptying from time to time. It seems most unlikely that the
inspection hatch to one chamber would be visible, but the other
would not be.

In theory a brick built cesspool could be converted to a septic
tank, assuming you could get the appropriate permissions and have
space. Septic tanks are an excellent way of disposing of sewage in
remote locations. Whether the expense of such a conversion is worth
it compared to having the cesspool emptied regularly depends on your
circumstances.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh