Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default O Ring materials selection?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:49:52 -0600, Andy Asberry
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:36:07 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Im now needing to occasionally replace o-rings in machine tools and
whatnot and need to purchase a selection of them to keep in the truck.

Most applications will be for air, in an oily environment, though a
few will be for hydraulic fluids. Is there some material best suited
for general use?

And will they degrade in a short period of time, in the back of my
service truck in hot weather?

What material should I be using?

I will likely purchase from ebay one of those 400 piece selections
for $10 or so, unless someone has better suggestions.

Grants recent thread on O/A o rings brought this to mind.

Thanks in advance

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

What general sizes are needing?

Thats the problem...I never know. Last week I needed some tiny ones
for the inside of a Hardinge Auto-threader..2 weeks before that..some
that were about 5/8" in diameter for a hydraulic unit..a month before
that..

Which is why I need to keep an assortment on hand. Like OD & ID snap
rings. and the occasional E clip.

If I were bringing the machines to my shop for repair..I could keep a
****load of stuff on hand ..but since I work out of my truck....it
becomes a bit more problematic.

And there is another bitch of mine..snap rings. They are hard to find
since the end of the old time hardware store..and the bearing houses
are more than happy to sell you some, assuming they have any...but
will only sell you a full bag of 20is or so.

And I hate driving 50 miles round trip to the nearest place that sells
snap rings, even in So. California...for a single snap ring.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3