jim rozen

Default Every wanted to see a Chinese production facility?

In article , Ed Huntress says...

But remember where it all came from. Corporations exist because they provide
an economic benefit to the society as a whole. They have no "rights," only
priviledges and permissions. It would be good to remind ourselves of this.

Unfortunately this is still in flux. Corporations are
gaining more and more 'rights' as citizens as time goes
on, and the present adminstration is allowing this to
happen.

I would cite the recent Nike example, where a group
sued them for false advertising, over their shoe
manufacture workforce.

Nike was going to claim first amendment rights, in
spite of the fact this was commercial speech - which
is not nearly as protected as individual speech.
But there was a large amount of boo-hooing when it
became apparent that corporations don't have the
same rights of speech as individuals, and that they
can't just say whatever they want in their advertising.

Many of the commentators claimed this would have a
major chilling effect on commerce. As I said,
boo hoo.

Ed I have to agree with you that corporations should
*not* enjoy the same rights and priviledges as citizens,
but as I said the government is beholden to them what
paid the money, and that means corporations are going
to get as many breaks as they can hire politicians.

Jim

Jim

please reply to: