Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Rookie jointer question

"AcornMan" wrote in message
OK, so I finally got around to buying a jointer this past week, and
tried using it for the first time today (the first time I've ever even
been close to a jointer that's on). Once I got the outfeed table
aligned with the cutter blades correctly I thought all I really needed
to do was push the piece of wood across and keep it pushed down on the
outfeed table. Is that not right? I ended up with a curved edge that
looks kind of like a boomerang. I'd sure appreciate any pointers you
all might have. Thanks.

When you say you got the outfeed table aligned with the cutter blades
correctly, I want to confirm you mean you aligned it to be exactly level
with the knives at their highest point of revolution. Assuming that's the
case, the condition of your stock prior to jointing can have an effect on
the outcome. Ideally, from end to end, your stock would be concave, meaning
that when you place the edge on the infeed table, the ends would contact the
table and the middle would not.

todd