Keith Marshall

Default Help a newbie out?

I don't have any direct experience with the Sherlines but I do know that
they're more of a "micro" lathe and are very limited in what you can do with
them. I'm also fairly sure that you can't cut threads on them.

As for the Harbor Freight and other mini lathes take a look at this site. I
think it might change your mind about them.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/

Also, when you say that the Sherline is at about the maximum of your price
range it's probably worse than you think because you're probably not
figuring in the cost of tooling. As a general rule of thumb most people say
you'll spend about the same for tooling as you do for the lathe. Of course
that varies depending on where you buy your tooling and what jobs you plan
to do but you will definitely have to spend a fair amount on tooling.

I have a JET 9x20 myself and it's kind of like a larger version of the
Harbor Freight mini so I don't have any direct experience with the minis but
it looks like the best deal out there is the Homier 7x12. It's only $299
and they do a travelling truckload tool sale so if they come to your area
you won't have to pay shipping. Go to their site and sign up for them to
email you whenever they'll be in your area. They don't post a schedule so
that's the only way you'll be able to find out.

http://www.homier.com

If they won't be in your area anytime soon watch for a sale on the Harbor
Freight lathe. I think it was only $329.99 last month for Inside Track Club
members (or maybe it was $369.99) and they ship any order over $50 for free.
Of course if you have a local store that's even better because you can go
and look at one yourself. :-)

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Brad Brigade wrote in message
Howdy!

I know this question gets asked a lot, but most of the answers I found
wer from '97-'98. Things change...

I've been working on electronics for robotics applications for a
while, and I am now ready to start working on the hardware. I decided
to buy a lathe and mill, and after a few days of searching, have my
sights set on Sherline.

I'm going to need to make small parts, mostly out of aluminum, as well
as gears and threads. Will the sherline machines be adequate for
this?

I was looking at the Emco machines as well as the ones sold by harbor
freight, but most of what I read about them had them dismissed as
"toys". While I have heard a few people dismiss Sherline as "toys",
it is not nearly as often as the other machines I've been looking at,
and Sherline is at about the maximum of my price range.

Has anyone successfully made gears on a Sherline, or is that just a
ridiculous proposition?

I'm also interested in the CNC capability. Any comments on that? Is
it worth it?

Can anyone suggest a better machine for around the same price as a
Sherline?

Any help, suggestions, or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance...