Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bathroom earthing question

w_tom wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Even other countries which still haven't [put rules in place] don't
have the same problem the US did with electrocutions in baths.

So why does a UK article on bathroom protection (www.niceic.org.uk)
show a British citizen in a bathtub using a hairdryer to move a sailing
ship? Clearly they are not discussing only hairdryers in the bathtub.
Clearly they are discussing and I was discussing any electrical
appliance, light, etc in a bathroom. An RCD that trips on low
amperage ground fault currents is a very effective solution to bathroom
human safety - no matter what is required by code. This because the
average bathroom in any country contains electrical appliances and
lamps.

Does www.niceic.org.uk discuss bathroom electrical safety
everywhere but the UK? I don't think so. They use a 'hardryer in a
bathtub' as an example of what even UK bathroom wiring should consider
possible. Stupid? Yes. And possible in any nation that has
electricity in bathrooms. An RCD for bathroom circuits has been
standard in the States since 1970 because sometimes people use
electrical appliances in the wrong place. If not yet required in the
UK, well, RCD for bathrooms is a safety solution long overdue and
strongly encouraged.

While what you say probably applies in the US, its wrong on nearly all
points wrt to the UK.

Why does someone show a picture or make a claim? Because they have an
agenda maybe?

NT