Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

Default Modifying Switched Duplex Outlet

In article ,
"Dave Combs" wrote:

I have a switched duplex outlet where I would like to have one outlet
remained switched and the other remain "live" at all times.

If we can get over the age old comment of "if you have to ask, then you
shouldn't do it", then how do I do it?

You've gotten the requisite admonitions to LEARN electrical wiring (good
advice, BTW), so I'll dispense with THAT...

I owned a spec home wired as you describe: A wall switch controlled BOTH
outlets of each duplex receptacle in the living room. (I guess I got what I
paid for.)

This was a MAJOR PITA for my sound system and for avoiding the annoying,
blinking "12:00" on the VCR.

My solution was to REMOVE the switch and simply connect the wires together,
thereby converting all the outlets to ALWAYS on.

This certainly isn't as classy as what you'd like to do, but it was FAR easier
than the "fix", assuming the outlets are NOT fed with 14/3 (i.e.), and the
supply is somewhere OTHER than the outlet in question.

In that case, to do what you want, you'll have to run an always-on feed to the
outlet(s), remove the tab (splitting the receptacles), wire one behind the
switch (leave it alone) and the other to your new feed.

I recommend removing the switch. Mine was in the center of a 3-gang box. The
local supply house provided me with a nice, 3-gang coverplate with the center
position blank/smooth. Good luck!
--

JR