Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Modifying Switched Duplex Outlet

"Dave Combs" wrote in message
I have a switched duplex outlet where I would like to have one outlet
remained switched and the other remain "live" at all times.

If we can get over the age old comment of "if you have to ask, then you
shouldn't do it", then how do I do it?

In all likelihood you can't.
How many wires go to the outlet? If three wires go to it (as is likely if
there is an unswitched outlet after it) you can break the tab and attach the
unswitched hot to it. If only two, then you are out of luck. Well, out of
luck without running a new cable, and you don't want to do that.

Someone else said you could do it if the switch came after the outlet. He
is right about that, but that would be real rare (someone would have added
it later...), so don't count on it.