jim rozen

Default OT, Sorta-LED flashlights...

In article , Gunner says...

#1 Maximum brightness over a reasonable circle.
#2 Maximum battery life
#3 maximum ruggedness in the unit
#4 as compact as possible. (and water tight)
#5 batteries must be commonly available
#6 cost

Take a white LED, a small switch, a current
dropping resistor, and solder them on top of
a 9V lithium battery. Tape up with 3M black
electrical tape.

Inexpensive, the Li battery has a *long* shelf
life, they can be totally submerged and still
run, light, compact, and cheap. Cheaper if the
Li battery is replaced with an alkaline, but then
you lose the long shelf life.

A simple sealed push button s switch on the ass end is good, though
"twist the head for on" is probably better due to construction
restraints and ruggedness. A lanyard ring is a virtual requirment.
Like the MiniMags have..

The trouble with the twist-off mag lights is, they turn
on in the pocket. Which results in a very-well illuminated
pocket for a brief period!

Another light that would be handy..is a small area lantern.

For this, at home, I use.... small kerosene lanterns. Fuel
stores indefinitely, they give a lot of light. Fire hazard
high though, obviously. Users have to be indoctrinated.

But the lithium battery LED flashlight is the nuts. Cheap
and lasts forever. I made some of those for my daughter
(we've hiked through the woods near our house at night
using only two of them) and damn if I don't catch her
reading under the covers with them, most nights.

The lack of mechanical contacts, and the use of a proper
mini toggle switch makes them a good deal more reliable
than most commercial lights. Those typically scrimp on
the switch.

Jim

please reply to: