Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Another MIG question(James)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:11:17 GMT, "Gene T"
wrote:

James,
You made a lot of good points, however I'm not planning on opening a
fabrication shop nor have the desire to become a certified welder. In the
past I have taken classes on oxy-acetylene and arc welding but not wire feed
welding. I have been to two local welding suppliers and asked questions and
even tried out a Miller welder. I have purchased 2 books and a CD-rom on
welding and would like to take an adult ed class but I work two jobs so it's
kind of hard to schedule.

I would not have the gall to "hang out" at a shop and bother people while
they are trying to earn a living and especially wouldn't take my welder to
have you set it up for me. It seems this group is only for professionals so
I guess I don't belong here. I'm just a regular joe wanting to do a few
metal projects around the house. Please pardon my intrusion.
Gene

I think a lot of us are not professional welders. Perhaps it would
be best if those who consider a question as unworthy of their high
level of skill should just not bother to respond. I do get
impatient with guys who are just too lazy to do their own homework,
but you clearly are trying to find and peruse all of the resources you
can.

It is not difficult to learn to use a MIG machine acceptably, if not
certifiably or professionally well. A course would be a good way
to do it, but it really isn't imperative. I've never had a welding
course in my life. I'm sure my welding would not meet professional
standards, but I'm able to make pretty much whatever I want with MIG,
TIG and/or O/A. Pros routinely make difficult or critical welds
that we would never attempt and don't need to do. I was never able
to do decent vertical or overhead welding with stick. Didn't have to.
I just rearranged the workpiece. Vertical and overhead with MIG is
much easier; I do that routinely now. A pro can probably weld .015"
aluminum with TIG. I can't. So I do it with O/A because that works
for me. .

The little 110-volt MIG boxes are OK for thin metal up to 1/8". a
220-volt machine is better if you want to go up to 5/16" or 3/8". They
can also still do the thinner stuff, though for autobody I really like
the little Lincoln SP125.

I would encourage you to stay with name brands like Lincoln, Miller or
Hobart, used or new. I once had a small import MIG from Harbor
Freight. Then I tried the SP-125 at a welding store. World of
difference! Being a self-taught amateur, I couldn't tell where I
was limited by the machine rather than my own skill deficiencies. I
was able to make much better welds immediately with the Lincoln.

Miller's paperback book on MIG is quite informative and inexpensive.
Read the book, then start welding. Then read the book again. Repeat
as necessary. Welding is learned in the shop, not in the study nor in
front of a 'puter screen. The more you do the better you get, if
you're paying attention. There is no substitute for practice. A
course provides a good venue for scheduled practice with some
coaching, but you can also do it yourself as time permits.