Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default A CAD Program

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I'd like to get a CAD program. This will be mostly for drawing up model
airplane plans, but will be used for some other mechanical design. With
models, I want to put scanned-in bitmaps of scale 3-views and design the
model over them. Better yet, a program that would be able to do a good
job of turning a scan into a line drawing would be ever so cool.

I have a copy of "TurboCAD Designer 2D/3D" Version 8, which I picked up
ages ago. It's sitting in my wastebasket because it does nothing but
crash my machine.

Anyone have any CAD program suggestions? Is Turbo CAD now reliable? A 2D
program would be sufficient, but I wouldn't say no to a 3D program if the
price were right.

Thanks.

nobody has mentioned "autodesk quick cad 8", wondering how that rates on
you-all's scale of usefulness/value. i think i paid like around $50 (and at
the time that seemed like a lot of money). it doesn't seem to be able to do
ANY 3D stuff. i wanted to get (and got) a very simple basic mechanical
drawing program. i've also been wondering how many of you guys who have cad
programs took classes to learn how to use it. i'm self taught and wow it
was a brain teaser. whew. am still WAY far from where i'd like to be with
it, i still have VERY basic abilities.

b.w.