Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Default Another MIG question(James)

Hello, Gene.
This newsgroup's name starts with "rec" which I think stands for
"recreational". Must be that some guys have a bad day from time to
time and need someone to talk down to. Don't blame the whole group.
And don't stop asking the questions.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Gene T wrote:

James,
You made a lot of good points, however I'm not planning on opening a
fabrication shop nor have the desire to become a certified welder. In the
past I have taken classes on oxy-acetylene and arc welding but not wire feed
welding. I have been to two local welding suppliers and asked questions and
even tried out a Miller welder. I have purchased 2 books and a CD-rom on
welding and would like to take an adult ed class but I work two jobs so it's
kind of hard to schedule.

I would not have the gall to "hang out" at a shop and bother people while
they are trying to earn a living and especially wouldn't take my welder to
have you set it up for me. It seems this group is only for professionals so
I guess I don't belong here. I'm just a regular joe wanting to do a few
metal projects around the house. Please pardon my intrusion.
Gene
"Gene T" wrote in message
news
Hello all, I have been considering getting a MIG welder for the last few
years for simple projects and repairs. I thought I had narrowed it down
to a cheap flux cored one because I have to work outdoors and my thinking
was that any shielding gas might get blown away. However it seems that
flux cored wire for stainless is not available or at least I couldn't find
any on Lincoln's website. Is this correct? Then to make me more confused
I saw some gas shielded- flux cored wire. Can this be used without the
gas?
Thanks for your help,
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software