Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Default O Ring materials selection?

I wonder what material one could expect from the Harbor Freight kit.
Sort of scary to think about it.
I have dozens of Buna-N and Viton O rings that have been stored in a
drawer for at least 15 years at room temp and none of them show any
degradation. And when I take apart hydraulic cylinders that have been
operating for 20 to 40 years, I don't see a lot of degradation either.
Many of these systems run at elevated temperatures, so I don't see why
storing them in the back of the truck would be a problem.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Gunner wrote:

Im now needing to occasionally replace o-rings in machine tools and
whatnot and need to purchase a selection of them to keep in the truck.

Most applications will be for air, in an oily environment, though a
few will be for hydraulic fluids. Is there some material best suited
for general use?

And will they degrade in a short period of time, in the back of my
service truck in hot weather?

What material should I be using?

I will likely purchase from ebay one of those 400 piece selections
for $10 or so, unless someone has better suggestions.

Grants recent thread on O/A o rings brought this to mind.

Thanks in advance

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3