Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default Y-plan wiring questions

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

I accept your point and the note of caution, but running a five core
is going to be too damn expensive to do, I'll have to take up boards
and remove my present bath to do it.

As a related point, surely a reasonably knowledgable person would use
a phase tester before risking his life on the assumption that things
had been wired the way they appear.

Hopefully - but it's not unreasonable to assume that the system is dead once
you've turned it off at the FCU.

I suggest you fix prominent notices at each supply point making it clear
that *both* switches must be off for the system to be isolated.

It's even worse if the two connection points are not on the same ring -
because you can then turn a ring off at the CU, but it is still live!
--
Cheers,
Roger