Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

Default Changing Building Materials to Metric

first of all, I'm talking carpentry. maybe you do, but i don't know
any carpenter out there measuring in 1/64ths, yards (except when
ordering carpet or concrete), miles, nanometers, or microns. my point
is that the english system works well for carpentry. no, i don't think
nasa should be using the english system.

I used the example of finding a midpoint because we do that a lot. the
house i'm building now has a lot of rough openings of 36 1/4. why the
quarter? no idea, but i doubt that if we were in the metric system,
manufacturers would mend their ways and start sizing things in even
numbers to make it a speck easier for us poor brain dead carpenters.

i didn't say that the english system was more precise. I meant that
the kind of precision that is required in building a house is easily
obtained with fractions. sometimes 1/32 precision is required,
sometimes 1/16, sometimes 1/8, etc. Of course i don't think that the
english system is more precise. there are more precision options.

i am in fact quite familiar with the metric system. I been to college,
took physics and chemistry. passed even. give me a metric tape and a
pile of metric materials, and i'd get used to it. probably find some
things easier, but i bet you there'd be other things that aren't
easier. so don't tell me that metric is always in all ways better. I
don't buy it.