Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Long closet pole

"Actor123" wrote in message
The thing is, I would prefer not to have any
braces or brackets during the run of the pole, just at the ends. This
is because I prefer to be able to slide all the clothes around a lot,
as it makes organization much easier.

I realize most closet poles are not strong enough to support that kind
of weight without brackets to the wall every few feet. I am looking
for approximately a 10' span with no brackets in the middle.

Take the spar from the wing of an airplane.

Any pipe able to take the weight with no say is probably to thick to accept
a hanger and anything wood will sag. It may be possible to fabricate a
vertical structure that can take the weight, but it will have to be so high
that a hanger will not lay properly. I'd guess that a 6" section of 1"
plywood would work.

Personally, I'd plan on at least a center support.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/