Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG

Default Creating a tapered hole

I don't know your skill level or your tool availability. You can
accomplish what you want with a cheap paddle bit (Irwin speed bore
type bit). Grind or file the taper on the sides of the drill.
This works quite well for candle holders too.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
It's a small matter but one that's driving me batty. In my
modeling work I
usually have anywhere from 2 to 6 little "medicine cups" [the
kind they use
in hospitals] filled with various liquids -- custom mixed paint,
glue, paint
thinners, etc -- on the bench and naturally I'm constantly
knocking over one
or more of these almost every day.

The obvious solution would be to create a small base for them
that's
tip-proof. Conceptually a 1-3/4" square of something like MDF
in which
there's been bored a tapered hole that matches the taper of the
cups would
work fine -- I've already done this with a straight-sided glue
bottle that
was consistently in danger of tipping because the base was too
narrow for
the height.

Anyway, I suppose I could drill a straight hole attack it with a
rasp. I
could also, I guess, use my bandsaw with the table tilted. Both
of these
seem like brute force and I keep thinking that there has to be a
more
elegant way. I just measured the slope of the side of the cup
and it's ~15
degrees from the vertical so I don't think there are any router
bits that
would help much either.

Suggestions welcome.

Norm