Brad Brigade

Default Help a newbie out?

Howdy!

I know this question gets asked a lot, but most of the answers I found
wer from '97-'98. Things change...

I've been working on electronics for robotics applications for a
while, and I am now ready to start working on the hardware. I decided
to buy a lathe and mill, and after a few days of searching, have my
sights set on Sherline.

I'm going to need to make small parts, mostly out of aluminum, as well
as gears and threads. Will the sherline machines be adequate for
this?

I was looking at the Emco machines as well as the ones sold by harbor
freight, but most of what I read about them had them dismissed as
"toys". While I have heard a few people dismiss Sherline as "toys",
it is not nearly as often as the other machines I've been looking at,
and Sherline is at about the maximum of my price range.

Has anyone successfully made gears on a Sherline, or is that just a
ridiculous proposition?

I'm also interested in the CNC capability. Any comments on that? Is
it worth it?

Can anyone suggest a better machine for around the same price as a
Sherline?

Any help, suggestions, or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance...