Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Default Boring a taper

Robert Swinney wrote:
I've been practicing boring a MT #1 with the compound on my Sherline lathe.

Any suggestionss - please. Is there a better way

Better- I'm not sure. I can give you different. I had a problem checking
the fit on the(close to)B3 end mill holders I made. I cut them by
setting the compound with an indicator using a B3 collet for reference.
Checking the fit was a problem as the collets use a key, and I couldn't
rotate the workpiece in the spindle to get clean rub marks using
HI-Spot. I had some 20 year old Plastigage. I put a piece on opposite
sides of the end mill holder and tightened the drawbar a bit. The
Plastigage deformed, showed how far off the taper was, and where it
needed to be corrected.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Tools/plastigage.htm
It is (was) cheap.

I have not heard of anyone using Plastigage in a machining context.
There may be good reasons not to use it, but it worked for me.

Kevin Gallimore